For over 120 years The Merck Index has been regarded as the most authoritative and reliable source of information on chemicals, drugs and biologicals. This resource is available online from the Royal Society of Chemistry.
The Merck Index* Online offers the same highly authoritative information as the print edition in a convenient and easily searchable full text database. It contains over 11,500 monographs – including historic records not available in the print edition. The Merck Index* Online will be updated regularly with accurate information curated by experts.
You can perform simple searches on a number of different properties and fields, construct complex multi-parameter searches, and search by chemical structure to discover:
- Names, synonyms and tradenames
- Chemical structures
- Physical properties (e.g. mp, bp, density)
- Applications and usage
- Bioactivity data
- Literature references
- Searchable collection of over 500 organic named reactions
- Overview of each reaction with an idealised scheme and key references
- Common abbreviations
- Human and veterinary drugs
- Biotech drugs and monoclonal antibodies
- Substances used for medical imaging
- Biologicals and natural products
- Plant and herbal medicines
- Nutraceuticals and cosmeceuticals
- Laboratory reagents and catalysts
- Dyes, colour and indicators
- Environmentally significant substances
- Food additives and nutritional supplements
- Flavours and fragrances
- Agricultural chemicals, pesticides and herbicides
- Industrial and specialty chemicals
Chemists, biochemists, pharmacists, pharmacologists, toxicologists, medical researchers, students, teachers, academic libraries, academic researchers, information professionals, solicitors, journalists and government agencies.
A link to "The Merck Index Online" is available on the Databases page.